Friday, April 11, 2008

Baby steps...

This is written by Memaw Donna:

First let me say that until you are a grandparent you won't really 'get' this...I remember when my best friend Debbie became a gramma and she'd tell me stories about Taylor. I'd listen and smile and think "wow that's nice Deb." Then it was gone....now that I'm a gramma I totally 'get it'. So, here's my story!

It's not unusual for my daughter, Kadee, to call me in the evening. We actually talk several times a day. For the past year and 9 months our conversation is often about a certain little princess. Prior to Gracee's birth, Kadee would call me when she felt nauseous, movement, emotional, had cravings, had a question or concern, or just needed to talk to her mom.

It's so hard to believe that a year has passed since Gracee was born. The time has gone by so quickly. Kadee has proven to be an outstanding mother. As much as I'd like to take credit for that I really don't feel that I can. (well maybe a little..) She is much more mature then I was at that age. Much more grounded and sure of herself. She has the ability to stop and think before freaking out over a high fever, snotty nose or a tumble off the bed. I'm sure she still freaks out on the inside but she never lets Gracee or Jared see that. She is always 'the mom'.

I love watching Kadee be a mom. Love just pours off of her. I've never known a happier mom and I've never known a happier baby. I'm not saying that because it's my daughter and granddaughter...other people see it and say the same thing. You don't have to be around them very long to see the bond that they share and I'm so lucky to be able to witness it on an almost daily basis.

It has made my bond with Kadee even stronger. I think that Gracee and I also have a very strong connection. I have to say that Gracee lights up when her gramma walks in the room. (I've been told that I light up too!) (Kadee will tell you that she lights up when anyone walks in the room but I like to think that it's all me!)

Kadee is also a wonderful step mom. Jared is one of the smartest 3 year olds I've ever known. He doesn't miss a thing. You have to be very careful what you do and say around him, because he will share it with the world. (just trust me on that!) If you didn't know it ...you'd think that Kadee was his bio mom. Again there is a love that is so apparent to anyone who is around. It's hilarious to see Gracee and Jared interact. They are best friends. Gracee LOVES her big brother and Jared takes care of his little sissy with such pride. They have their own little language that only they understand.

I could go on and on about my wonderful daughter and her wonderful kids...but the reason I started this blog is to share a story.

My phone rang last night and it was Kadee. She had already called me twice to share 'cute' things that Gracee was doing. (And this was after I had stopped by to visit!!)

When I answered the phone this time I heard that Kadee was sobbing... I immediately felt panic shoot through my entire body...Then I heard the smile in her voice. In spite of her tears...she said, "Mom, Gracee.......mom.... Gracee just took 10 steps all by herself!!! She walked across the living room, she's growing up way too fast!"

I had to laugh out loud.... then my proud gramma instincts kicked in and I had to call Gracee's great gramma and tell her...then tell Jay and Kenny....If it hadn't been so late I may have called everyone I know! It was a wonderful feeling. I love to brag about my grandkids! I adore hearing the pride in her voice when Kadee talks about her kids. I can hardly wait to meet the next one....(no she's not pregnant!)

It's amazing to me how one little life can be such a joy and bring so much happiness to so many people. It is with great anticipation I look forward to the next year of her life. What are now baby steps will soon be "big girl" steps..Cuz our little girl is growing up...way too fast!

No comments: