Friday, December 7, 2007

Gracee's Story

I never thought it would feel like this… you hear everyone else's stories about having babies and what they did or didn't do. How perfect their baby was or wasn't. But until you give birth and experienced the miracle of life you have no idea. I love this little person more then I love myself. She is now my everything… and it happened in a split second.

When that doctor put my 8lb 10.6oz baby girl on my chest, after 15 hours of some hard ass labor, I didn't hurt anymore. I had an overwhelming feeling a pure love. I have a baby. That is all I could say… "I have a baby!" In total amazement of the entire experience I have done something that I'm more proud of then any other accomplishments in my life. At 26 years old I now know what life is really about!

I am a mommy. I have been taught by the best and have a great support system. My husband is fabulous. My family and friends are so loving and giving, I know that this will be something I continue to learn and grow from.

We got to the hospital at 8pm Thursday night; I can't even explain the anticipation for meeting this new little baby. Jessy was excited but nervous and I was scared! The nurse came in around 10pm and put cervadil on my cervix. She told me that I couldn't go to the bathroom or eat anything for the next two hours. Then after that I couldn't eat after 12:30am! I love to eat so you better believe that I ate a sandwich, some pretzels and chocolate pudding as soon as the clock hit 12!

Then we had to wait 'til 6am to see if there was a change. Neither one of us slept well. Jessy had to sleep on the fold out couch (it was full size so not too bad) but he snored so I didn't really get much sleep. The nurses gave me a sleeping pill and Jessy said that I passed out like a rock but I don't remember anything like that! J

The next morning my nurse came in and checked me she said I was dilated to a 2 and she hooked me up to Patocin through an IV. At 9:25am Dr. Magee came in and broke my water, by noon I was dilated to a 4.5 and they asked if I wanted an epidural… My mom had just left to go to Target and Jessy just got in the shower so I didn't know what to do. I had been having contractions and starting to feel a lot of pressure so I decided to ahead with the shot! Jessy agreed the less pain the better so a little after 12pm I got the epidural. By 4:30pm I was fully effaced (the baby was making progress and moving down) but I was only dilated to a 6. Slowly but surely I dilated to a 10 and was able to start pushing. That was at 8:05pm. Gracee arrived at 10:43pm. It was a hard labor but well worth the wait! My mom and my mother in law were in the room when Gracee was born.

Everyone came into the room to meet her and were all gone by 1am. Jessy and I just looked at her and talked about the entire giving birth process (He watched!) She is such a wonderful baby! Took to breast feeding like a champ and sleeps so well! Her first night was awesome, I stayed awake just to look at her. I was pooped -- could hardly hold her but just couldn't stop staring into those beautiful blue eyes.

We got to come home Sunday and boy were we ready to sleep in our own beds!?! Gracee slept the entire way home and we had to stop at McDonalds to get a few cheeseburgers cause we were starving! My mom, dad, aunt Willa, uncle Al, Jeremy and Jayden were all here to greet us on bringing home miss Gracee!

Thank you all for your prayers, advice, gifts, and love. We need every bit we can get! We have been blessed in so many ways. I have changed so much and want to hug every women that has pushed a child from her womb and given birth. Mother's Day is coming up so please do something wonderful for your mom!

No comments: